This webinar has passed. If you are interested in joining a future Webinar, be sure to join Micromobility Pro.
This week we are releasing another talk from our recent Micromobility World - this one with Matthew Yglesias, pioneering political blogger and self-described "ebike dad," on why electric bikes and other small vehicles offer a compelling alternative to the solve the urban mobility dilemma.
Matt has a wealth of knowledge about the interplay of politics, Transport and land use and Julia is an excellent host to ask him about it. This was a really compelling and interesting 50 minutes. We hope you enjoy it!
They dig into:
- His journey to be an ‘e-bike dad’ - and a big proponent of electric bikes
- The intersection between transport and built urban form - and the overhang of cars.
- How people are now getting used to taking the vehicles that are appropriate to the trip.
- The divide between privately owned and shared systems, and how land use rules interplay with those decisions
- The regulatory drivers helping and hindering EVs and micromobility
- The subsidy question - needed or not?
- Why he thinks SoCal should be ground zero for a micromobility first city
- The importance of making micromobility a positive, accessible brand rather than making it snobby or a ‘poverty option'
- The importance of allowing the built environment to innovate to new mobility options.
- What should micromobility advocates do to help drive change.
- Americans are typically pro-growth, opportunity and innovation. How can those attitudes be harnessed for micromobility, and transcend the left/right divide.
Follow Matthew on Twitter and on LinkedIn
Catch us on Twitter @MicromobilityCo. Horace and Oliver are also active on their personal accounts and would love to hear from you.
Our Micromobility Newsletter is completely free, and you can subscribe to have it in your inbox every Tuesday and Thursday morning. And for those who want more, we offer Micromobility Pro membership that includes exclusive content and conference discounts, as well as live calls with Horace and team.
We’re also on LinkedIn and Instagram.
Sign up for free for the Micromobility Newsletter - the world’s largest newsletter about small vehicles - and receive best-in-class insights, analysis, and commentary. Trusted by over 60,000 riders, insiders, builders and enthusiasts.